Skip to main content

Easter Injuries, The Rest of the Story

Two years ago, this was our Easter.  After a full day, lots of candy and company, she took a topple down the stairs and cut her eyebrow open.  5 stitches later, we were still in mega tears and sad, and a bottle fixed most of everthing up.  A week later she them taken out and a small scar remains.  I have tried to get it to heal well, though using Mederma. 
This was the first time stitches were needed on a child in our home.  We are now experiencing the first "broken arm".  Is this going to be a two year tradition for her?  Easter Injuries??

 



Just a quick post.  We are headed to an Orthopaedic Surgeon at noon.  After I have the results there, I will do a full post here {on this same post} about what is going on, what happened, and what to expect for the new few weeks.  Please check back, if you want, but also please hold all questions until I can post everything.  {Like why she has to skip Easter when she is 5.}



For now, Jocelyn's got a fractured humerus.  
She is whiny and so am I. 

Okay, on to what happened: 


Last night at 6 pm, we said family prayer and put everyone to bed.  I even facebooked briefly that the house was quiet.  Everyone was asleep.  I spoke to soon.  Jocelyn came upstairs complaining her arm hurt and that she fell.  With a quick kiss and hug she went back to bed.  Around 9 she came up the stairs screaming "Help Me, My Arm!"  over and over.  We concluded that she better get an x-ray, as it might be worse than an "owie". 

I took her to MV ReddiCare.  After a horrible TWO HOUR wait, yes people, 2 hours!!! and a lame, stupid episode of River Monsters (the volume was too low and it was loud because it was crowded, which only made watching it worse, because I couldn't understand or hear what was going on well enough) on the Animal Planet channel,we finally got in for the x-ray.  An hour later, we knew she had a fractured humerus and would need to see a Orthopaedic Surgeon.   We were home and back in bed by 1:30 am.  Eek.  Lucky for Jocelyn, she is sleeping now, enjoying a much needed nap.


Her appointment had us nervous that she would need surgery - placing a pin in the bone so that it would heal properly.  That was the worse case scenerio that the Reddicare guy gave me.  Better would be that she would be in a sling for 6 weeks.

Lucky for us, and for her sake, she only has to wear it for 2 weeks, and will be re-x-rayed on week three.  They expect a 
full recovery and quick regrowth of the bone.  So the fracture must not be that bad.  Sure, the surgeon showed us on the x-ray, and I could barely see it, and I have no training to know if what I saw was bad or not.  

Guess not.  

She is to take the sling off every day and stretch her arm out and wear the sling only really as a reminder that she is to be careful and that other should be careful around her.  The worst part about it, is that she can't jump on the tramp for a few weeks.

Big deal. 

We are very grateful that it's not worse.   
But seriously, she is skipping Easter in two years.

Comments

Bean said…
I just thought I'd tell you that you do such a good job with your blog. I really never have any time anymore to get on my blog. I wish I did and that it turned out like yours. Your kids have grown up! I remember when you first moved in. Aspyn still asks all of the time if Catelyn can come and play some time. We'll have to have her over this summer!
SeeingSautters said…
That is awful for a little one to have to keep one arm tied up. I am glad it was not worse. I can see why you may forfeit Easter in two years. Hope you all survive the next few weeks. Candace
Cindy said…
Sorry JoJo!! Sorry for Gina!! It's not fun to try to keep a fairly healthy child still and not jump around.!! I think it'll be hardest for you. Good luck keeping her slowed down! Boy-this is (sp) I had a couple of little boys with multiple hospital visits!~
Erika said…
Poor little thing! Hope her little bone heals up quickly for everyone's sake!
Chels said…
Oh poor Jo! You are one tough cookie! I love you so much little girl and your gonna get through this and then in a few years look back and laugh at how much tougher you are then your brother and sisters haha. Good luck kiddo:] I'll try to pop in soon to say 'Hi', love ya ♥
Poor little Jo Bear. Well I'm glad everything went "best case scenario" and that she's going to be back to normal in a few weeks.

She's a crazy little monkey :) ♥
Camille said…
I am so glad that it was the best case scenario. I thought about you guys a lot yesterday.

Popular posts from this blog

The Opposite of Christmas Morning

We are having the opposite of Christmas morning at our house.  No toys.  We have one of these for storing toys: And several of these for the same reason: And last night the kids thought dumping them out for the sake of dumping toys would be fun.  This is a major rule breaker in our home.  I have had problems with this in the past, (even Mykalee knows this) and i have told them if it happens again, all the toys will disappear. And last night, after I found out what they had done, the toys have been grounded.  FOR A WEEK.  I hope it's as devastating as possible, so that they will learn I am serious when it comes to dumping toys out. {Also, Brooklyn is the only one who is exempt from this, as she was in bed.  Innocent.} On a side note, we did get the kids this on Friday.  It was time.  They seem to love it.

Happy Birthday Catelyn!!!

Happy Birthday Catelyn!!!     Yesterday was you last day as a 6 year old.  Here we go for 7!!! I have picked out a few photos that I love of you, Catelyn, and hope that you know how special you are as you look at this post.   You truly are a Daughter of God and are so beautiful.   We are so glad you are a part of our family! *You love to play outside. *You like math, have struggled with reading, and love recess. *You stood with Amanda in that wedding line for 45 minutes.   *You are a girly girl.  Lipstick, makeup, nail polish and perfume make you happy. *You yell a lot.  We are working on an inside voice. * You seem to want to stop sucking your thumb.  *You love the computer. *You love to shop. *You have one year to be ready for your baptism! *When you fall asleep, you are out like a light! *You love your teacher, Ms. Bair. *You need a bigger bike. *You enjoy watching Phineas and Ferb. *You draw people really well, and ...

Breaking News: Brooklyn

Nothing like getting a sharp poke in the ear. Especially when you're two and an half and ASK for it. When Brooklyn was a baby I went to have her ears done, but decided to hold off, since her one ear lobe was so tiny, and her ears were very different in size. So I waited. For her to grow into her ears. And to grow some hair. Still waiting on the hair part, so earrings seemed like a great idea. She asked for them, and since we both wanted them, we went and got them. She picked out a pair, and viola, it was done. She said, "Owwwww!" once, and then laughed when the lady gave her a sucker and began modeling for me and Kyle.  All to show off her new earrings! Yup, seriously, she loves them.  It's pretty stinking cute.  She is constantly telling me, each time we clean and rotate them, "Mom, never take them out, 'kay?" Okay. Deal. And I did mention that we are waiting on some hair, but some is sprouting. So we're hopeful! See, she...