This January brings a new adventure for Landon and his friends. I am his Basketball Coach. Shocking, I know. I don't know much about the sport- other than the basics. But I know all about fun, and I know each of these kids by name and that is what counts.
There is a great kid by the name of Joel Carter who is a senior at Bonneville that Kyle and I have recently become friends with and Kyle suggested I ask Joel to help me, as he is well acquainted with the game, and plays for Bonneville.
Kyle will help if and when he can, but games are on Saturday mornings, a bad time for Kyle. With Joel and Kyle's help, we're gonna be just fine on the skills. We had our first practice though, and both Joel and Kyle weren't able to attend so I was on my own.
Landon and his friends gathered around me and I tried hard not to panic. What was I going to teach these kids? It didn't help that there were two dads sitting there watching me. I just keep smiling and offereing encouragement and talking to them, by name, as we practiced all kinds of stuff- like passing and shooting and a jump ball.
At the end of that first practice the kids were smiling and I was relieved it was over.
Then yesterday, Sat. Jan. 5th, we had our first game. Joel, I think, was surprised to say the least. It think it's been a long LONG time since he's been around 2nd graders. At one point, he yelled, "Get on D!"
I turned to him, and laughed a little, replying, "They don't know what that means. I'm not sure I do!" He laughed and said, "We've got a lot to work on."
I think he said that about 14,583 times. But they're second graders, so you better believe they have plenty to work on and I'm excited about helping. Even if I'm the one who comes up with the chants and treat schedule and Joel comes up with the tactics and drills. That makes for good balance I suppose.
Now Landon! He smiled from ear to ear as we (both sets of grandparents and his mom and dad) watched and cheered him on. He sank a couple of shots and he's pretty quick on his feet, passing the ball pretty well. He was tickled with the treats at the end. With a few more practices, I think his skills with improve.
I don't have any photos yet, but we will!
There is a great kid by the name of Joel Carter who is a senior at Bonneville that Kyle and I have recently become friends with and Kyle suggested I ask Joel to help me, as he is well acquainted with the game, and plays for Bonneville.
Kyle will help if and when he can, but games are on Saturday mornings, a bad time for Kyle. With Joel and Kyle's help, we're gonna be just fine on the skills. We had our first practice though, and both Joel and Kyle weren't able to attend so I was on my own.
Landon and his friends gathered around me and I tried hard not to panic. What was I going to teach these kids? It didn't help that there were two dads sitting there watching me. I just keep smiling and offereing encouragement and talking to them, by name, as we practiced all kinds of stuff- like passing and shooting and a jump ball.
At the end of that first practice the kids were smiling and I was relieved it was over.
Then yesterday, Sat. Jan. 5th, we had our first game. Joel, I think, was surprised to say the least. It think it's been a long LONG time since he's been around 2nd graders. At one point, he yelled, "Get on D!"
I turned to him, and laughed a little, replying, "They don't know what that means. I'm not sure I do!" He laughed and said, "We've got a lot to work on."
I think he said that about 14,583 times. But they're second graders, so you better believe they have plenty to work on and I'm excited about helping. Even if I'm the one who comes up with the chants and treat schedule and Joel comes up with the tactics and drills. That makes for good balance I suppose.
Now Landon! He smiled from ear to ear as we (both sets of grandparents and his mom and dad) watched and cheered him on. He sank a couple of shots and he's pretty quick on his feet, passing the ball pretty well. He was tickled with the treats at the end. With a few more practices, I think his skills with improve.
I don't have any photos yet, but we will!
Comments