Well, I had a meeting yesterday morning in regards to Jocelyn and her speech therapy. She NO LONGER qualifies! Woot Woot! Maybe that doesn't sound right. But I promise, it's worth a celebration!
This girl is so bright! She took to correcting her sounds like a champ, like a barbie to the beach, like a duck to water, like a toddler to diapers. Seriously, Jo knocked out sounds so quick we (her therapist and I) were shocked. She was technically done in May 2012. But her teacher and I held her case open, over the summer, just in case she slipped backwards and would need more help.
At the beginning of this year of school, the therapist at school contacted me about placing her in a group session instead of individual, as she was doing really well from her initial evaluation. I gave the green light to that, and off they went. Once a week for 30 minutes they've worked as a group, and now Jocelyn is at a point where her speech will only improve with age. She has two sounds that 'hold' her back and they are the MOST COMMON sounds that K-3 girls struggle with. Making her no longer 'needy'.
"R" and "TH" are the two that she hasn't mastered, however if you correct her, she can do the sounds. They call this "emerging." It will also significantly improve as she discovers how words like THIS, THAT, THIMBLE, and THANKS are spelled. Once she discovers that those words are actually spelled with T-H she'll make the connection, and correct herself, before she says it wrong.
And so, things were going great with speech and then BAM! that girl lost another tooth. And she has the most adorable little toothless lisp, due to the hole where her teeth will grow in. {Nothing to be concerned about, folks!} But this too will pass really quick as her tongue makes adjustments to the new smile.
She bit into an apple, spit out the pieces in her hand and offered it to me.
Chewed up apple, slobber and all.
Ew.
I was grossed otu until I realized WHY she had spit it all out and offered it to me.
"Look, it's my tooth!" she said! And dang-skippy if that girl put her tooth under her pillow at 1 o'clock in the afternoon so she "Wouldn't forget". Thank goodness the Toothfairy has a good memory and a chance to get to it 'early!"
This girl is so bright! She took to correcting her sounds like a champ, like a barbie to the beach, like a duck to water, like a toddler to diapers. Seriously, Jo knocked out sounds so quick we (her therapist and I) were shocked. She was technically done in May 2012. But her teacher and I held her case open, over the summer, just in case she slipped backwards and would need more help.
At the beginning of this year of school, the therapist at school contacted me about placing her in a group session instead of individual, as she was doing really well from her initial evaluation. I gave the green light to that, and off they went. Once a week for 30 minutes they've worked as a group, and now Jocelyn is at a point where her speech will only improve with age. She has two sounds that 'hold' her back and they are the MOST COMMON sounds that K-3 girls struggle with. Making her no longer 'needy'.
"R" and "TH" are the two that she hasn't mastered, however if you correct her, she can do the sounds. They call this "emerging." It will also significantly improve as she discovers how words like THIS, THAT, THIMBLE, and THANKS are spelled. Once she discovers that those words are actually spelled with T-H she'll make the connection, and correct herself, before she says it wrong.
And so, things were going great with speech and then BAM! that girl lost another tooth. And she has the most adorable little toothless lisp, due to the hole where her teeth will grow in. {Nothing to be concerned about, folks!} But this too will pass really quick as her tongue makes adjustments to the new smile.
She bit into an apple, spit out the pieces in her hand and offered it to me.
Chewed up apple, slobber and all.
Ew.
I was grossed otu until I realized WHY she had spit it all out and offered it to me.
"Look, it's my tooth!" she said! And dang-skippy if that girl put her tooth under her pillow at 1 o'clock in the afternoon so she "Wouldn't forget". Thank goodness the Toothfairy has a good memory and a chance to get to it 'early!"
Comments