Skip to main content

West Yellowstone, Kid Style

Side Story

Jocelyn's done an awesome job with the potty...but this is waht "CRACKS" us up about her.


Now, on to the kids' pics from the weekend!  They all seemed to have a great time.  When we get together with Grandma{and every time I say Grandma, I really mean Grandma and Grandpa}, Kyle and I let her run thing in regards to them a bit more than if we were home.  You know, Spoil Them.  We allow all kinds of things that would normally never fly at home.  Late night snacks of brownies and soda, extra dessert, sugared up anything, along with long hours of playing.  Grandmas should have that chance, I think.  To spoil my kids by buying them things, feeding them too much, and loving them non-stop!  Especailly if we are vacation with them.  The rules and any schedule go flying out the window, and I try hard to just let it not be a big deal for me.  

So what if the repercussions of extra tired, whiny, needy kids lasts for a day or two after then come down from their "Grandma High".  I want them to remember later in life, that their Grandma got away with near murder when they were with her.  Memories of Cookie Crisp cereal, wrapped up in the smell of popcorna and homemade cookies, and the taste of Mountain Dew. Memories of always getting to got to McDonalds and watching a movie.  I want them to remember that when they were little, they were able to do all kinds of awesome things when they were with their Grandma.  That they didn't have to follow the rules of bedtime, eating everything on their plate, or washing their hands and clearing their plates or feeling the dissapointment of NO.

Granted, Grandma has to try to obey some of our rules, but for the most part, she is Queen, and I step down from my throne for a few hours or days.  

It's great.  {And all this because I remember that my Grandma Kathleen let us have all the popsicles we wanted and Grandma Betty still does spoil us!}


Comments

Chels said…
looks like fun! grandmas are awesome!
Autumn said…
Grandmas are the best! I love having my parents take over and spoil our kids rotten. Getting away from the everyday schedule and rules is healthy every now and then.
Sounds like a great trip!
Camille said…
I like your thinking about letting grandma rule when she is around. I agree totally. It takes my kids about a week to recover but its worth the fun!

Great pics! You guys sure know how to Party!
I love that you, as a mother, understand that what happens at Gmas house, stays at Gma's house! I think you are right on the money that it's important for kids to have that memory/bond with their grandparents. Grandma Pack letting us have all the popcicles we want (with a cuss word in there somewhere is my fondest memory of her.
Amie and Karl said…
i agree I have very fond memories of my grandmas house and being spoiled.

Where ever did you find that bear couch in Yellowstone we will have to go see it next time we go.

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Birthday Catelyn!!!

Happy Birthday Catelyn!!!     Yesterday was you last day as a 6 year old.  Here we go for 7!!! I have picked out a few photos that I love of you, Catelyn, and hope that you know how special you are as you look at this post.   You truly are a Daughter of God and are so beautiful.   We are so glad you are a part of our family! *You love to play outside. *You like math, have struggled with reading, and love recess. *You stood with Amanda in that wedding line for 45 minutes.   *You are a girly girl.  Lipstick, makeup, nail polish and perfume make you happy. *You yell a lot.  We are working on an inside voice. * You seem to want to stop sucking your thumb.  *You love the computer. *You love to shop. *You have one year to be ready for your baptism! *When you fall asleep, you are out like a light! *You love your teacher, Ms. Bair. *You need a bigger bike. *You enjoy watching Phineas and Ferb. *You draw people really well, and ...

The Opposite of Christmas Morning

We are having the opposite of Christmas morning at our house.  No toys.  We have one of these for storing toys: And several of these for the same reason: And last night the kids thought dumping them out for the sake of dumping toys would be fun.  This is a major rule breaker in our home.  I have had problems with this in the past, (even Mykalee knows this) and i have told them if it happens again, all the toys will disappear. And last night, after I found out what they had done, the toys have been grounded.  FOR A WEEK.  I hope it's as devastating as possible, so that they will learn I am serious when it comes to dumping toys out. {Also, Brooklyn is the only one who is exempt from this, as she was in bed.  Innocent.} On a side note, we did get the kids this on Friday.  It was time.  They seem to love it.

Breaking News: Brooklyn

Nothing like getting a sharp poke in the ear. Especially when you're two and an half and ASK for it. When Brooklyn was a baby I went to have her ears done, but decided to hold off, since her one ear lobe was so tiny, and her ears were very different in size. So I waited. For her to grow into her ears. And to grow some hair. Still waiting on the hair part, so earrings seemed like a great idea. She asked for them, and since we both wanted them, we went and got them. She picked out a pair, and viola, it was done. She said, "Owwwww!" once, and then laughed when the lady gave her a sucker and began modeling for me and Kyle.  All to show off her new earrings! Yup, seriously, she loves them.  It's pretty stinking cute.  She is constantly telling me, each time we clean and rotate them, "Mom, never take them out, 'kay?" Okay. Deal. And I did mention that we are waiting on some hair, but some is sprouting. So we're hopeful! See, she...