Remember in August of 2012 this happened:

Well, it's been a few years.
![]() |
| May 21, 2014 |
The poor girl's eyes are just like her mom's. Her vision has slipped so much that she hasn't been wearing her glasses for weeks because she claims they don't help at all.
And rightly so.
Dr. Kohler's exam proved she was twice as bad as from where she used to be. So next came the big questions. Is she ready for contacts? Is she too young? Is she responsible enough?
Well, after discussing it, we went with BOTH! She's on the border for wearing lenses, but I decided it would alright, because I came up with a HUGE catch to having contacts.
Drum Roll.....
CATELYN HAS TO PAY FOR THEM. They'll run her about $10 a month, and while in the long run glasses are cheaper, contacts are nice to have.
I remember getting my contacts, and while that's a post for my other blog, I will say this: I CRIED. It was scary putting them in, even though I wanted to so bad and I HAD TO WAIT FOREVER to get them. Catelyn's first response to to them was, "UH NO!"
I thought for sure she'd put her foot down and refuse to touch her eye. Because that was the test. Can you touch your eyeball? She again said no, and then proceeded to jab herself in the eye with her finger.
Oh, well, guess I can.
Yeah. She can. She wasn't nearly as chicken to touch her eye as she'd first thought.
It took a little while (an hour) to get those lenses in and out and in again. But she was stunned at how vast of an improvement it was to see after weeks, though I'm thinking it's been months of weak sight., making the scary process of putting lenses in, totally worth it.
As a parent, it's our job to make sure she can SEE. To provide her with corrective lenses. But it's not our job to provide her with contact lenses. She's excited to have both options and she's adjusting to her contacts really well.
Five days later, she lost a lens. I helped her look for it but it vanished. I wasn't mad at her and told her, "This kind of thing just happens with contacts." Because it does. It's not like she had the sink running aimlessly or was trying to brush her teeth at the same time or anything. It just fell and vanished. It happens. I've lost a few lenses in the process of learning to wear them. You chalk up the loss, and move on.
She knows from here on out she's financially responsible for them, and if she looses one or rips one, she's going to have to replace it herself or wear her glasses.
She's excited about it and we're excited for her! She's been a little nervous to tell some of her friends, because she hasn't wanted them to be jealous or anything of her. Which I think shows that she does have a heart and I'm glad to see her express her concerns and care about her friends' feelings. So far, it hasn't been a problem, and I think a lot of her friends think it's really great for her to have them.




Comments