Landon finally took to the water like a duck! He has been scared of it for some time now, but this last week, at Downata, he went for it. He clung to me for a while. Nervous. He wouldn't' let go. But I forced the life jacket on him, and started to play with him and within about 20 minutes he was getting brave enough that I could let go for a few minutes at a time. Then, I started to force him into coming to me. I would let go and tell him to just run to me...even though he was in the water. Run, son. Run! And he would kick his skinny little legs and viola! He can managed swimming around without me, with a life jacket on. By the end of the days, he was swimming everywhere alone, even in the deep end!
Catelyn, who already trusts her life jacket, went straight to jumping off the edge, and after much bribing (three pieces of gum and one Popsicle) she agreed to try the dragon water slide. This she ended up LOVING and went 3 times. Landon, after seeing Cate do it, wanted to try! I was shocked at his braveness! After his first ride down, he then asked, "Do I get gum too?"
He went down twice, bonking his head the second time down, which ended that for him. He then became to nervous again to try. After all this, I decided that since we could catch the kids at the bottom, and they could wear their life jackets, that Jocelyn who was fearless and had no respect for the water, should go on the Dragon too. Alone she went! She didn't hate it, looked a bit panicked as she came out of the tube, but didn't cry. When we asked if she wanted to go again, she firmly said, "No."
Catelyn had a great time with my cousins, and Jo Jo kept everyone busy catching her down the kids' slide and jumping off the edge. She didn't want a life jacket, which was fine, since she couldn't manage herself in one anyway.
Brooklyn came with us for about two hours and she loved it. She didn't cry one bit, and after a while tried to fall asleep in our arms but would wake every time she got splashed with the 88* (?) temp. water. It was so warm! Like a bath!
I am truly sad that Kyle missed out on this family fun day. I am also grateful to the numerous aunts and cousins who helped with the kids all day. Without them, I could not have done that, and if I had tried would have lost someone to drowning, most likely Jocelyn.
Comments