Skip to main content

"I want to go home!"

They took the beating and I am glad I was inspired to have her wear them.



Friday, June 15.  Kyle's birthday.

             Kyle had a funeral on Friday, which meant he left the house before anyone was awake.  When we did get up and get going, the first thing on our agenda was to go see Dad at work and take him his birthday present.
           Brooklyn didn't want to leave the house.  She wanted to stay home and watch Dora.  She was putting up quite the fit, which isn't unusual, but I figured she'd burn out once we got in the car and took off to see Kyle at work.  (Which usually means getting a few M&Ms.) 
         She was fighting me as I buckled her in.  She continued whining about it for a minute and then went quiet, until as I rounded the corner to leave our neighborhood, I heard her say, I'm going home!" and then all I heard was screaming.
             

            Brooklyn's been able to unbuckle from a 5-point harness for over a year.  She can squeeze and shimmy out of any kind of car seat, booster or regular seat belt.  So it was no surprise she'd unbuckled herself, but for her to open the car door while I was driving was pretty shocking.
             I slammed on the brakes, and jumped out of the car.  Her little body was face down on the concrete road, and she was screaming.  But then she went quiet as I picked her up and threw her back in the car and dashed home.
           Upon serious examination, she wasn't broken anywhere and she wasn't bleeding.  Not a drop of blood lost.  She was scrapped up - road burn- on her face and chin, but other than that, she was in perfect shape.
          I watched her closely waiting for signs of a consussion, and nothing came.  She was happy after I snuggled her and loved her.  It was very scary, is an understatement.

Taken the day of the accident.


Catelyn and Landon and Jocleyn were told to stay in the car, as I carried Brooklyn in, but Catelyn disobeyed me, coming in the house in full on tears to tell me they had said two prayers, and just had to know if Brooklyn was going to die.

That made my eyes swell with my own tears, but after calming everyone down, we were off to see Kyle at work.

I look back at that experence and think several things:

1. I was absolutely inspired to put those heavy denim overalls on her that morning.  Her chest, belly and knees were completely spared. Her little hands didn't have a scratch on them either. I am grateful I listened to the tiny promptings to put her in tough clothes instead of the little cotton shirt and shorts and flip flops I had originally chosen. And that I obeyed the prompting and insisted on the denim when she complained about it. I'm certain the jeans weren't life saving, but they were enough.  And lesson learned (again) to listen and follow a prompting.

2.  There is no doubt in my mind that the Lord was and is watching over us.  The mantle of Kyle's calling is upon my whole family, and this was a tender mercy I will always be grateful for.

3. I know my kids know where to turn in an emergency.  Enough said.

4. Despite my raw emotions surfacing over what could have happened and all the what-ifs, I found peace in the whole situation as we went to the temple that night for our ward temple night, and the kids soaked in my emotions (tears first and then calm and peaceful and grateful later).  As a family, we needed that that day, especially.





















Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Opposite of Christmas Morning

We are having the opposite of Christmas morning at our house.  No toys.  We have one of these for storing toys: And several of these for the same reason: And last night the kids thought dumping them out for the sake of dumping toys would be fun.  This is a major rule breaker in our home.  I have had problems with this in the past, (even Mykalee knows this) and i have told them if it happens again, all the toys will disappear. And last night, after I found out what they had done, the toys have been grounded.  FOR A WEEK.  I hope it's as devastating as possible, so that they will learn I am serious when it comes to dumping toys out. {Also, Brooklyn is the only one who is exempt from this, as she was in bed.  Innocent.} On a side note, we did get the kids this on Friday.  It was time.  They seem to love it.

Happy Birthday Catelyn!!!

Happy Birthday Catelyn!!!     Yesterday was you last day as a 6 year old.  Here we go for 7!!! I have picked out a few photos that I love of you, Catelyn, and hope that you know how special you are as you look at this post.   You truly are a Daughter of God and are so beautiful.   We are so glad you are a part of our family! *You love to play outside. *You like math, have struggled with reading, and love recess. *You stood with Amanda in that wedding line for 45 minutes.   *You are a girly girl.  Lipstick, makeup, nail polish and perfume make you happy. *You yell a lot.  We are working on an inside voice. * You seem to want to stop sucking your thumb.  *You love the computer. *You love to shop. *You have one year to be ready for your baptism! *When you fall asleep, you are out like a light! *You love your teacher, Ms. Bair. *You need a bigger bike. *You enjoy watching Phineas and Ferb. *You draw people really well, and ...

Breaking News: Brooklyn

Nothing like getting a sharp poke in the ear. Especially when you're two and an half and ASK for it. When Brooklyn was a baby I went to have her ears done, but decided to hold off, since her one ear lobe was so tiny, and her ears were very different in size. So I waited. For her to grow into her ears. And to grow some hair. Still waiting on the hair part, so earrings seemed like a great idea. She asked for them, and since we both wanted them, we went and got them. She picked out a pair, and viola, it was done. She said, "Owwwww!" once, and then laughed when the lady gave her a sucker and began modeling for me and Kyle.  All to show off her new earrings! Yup, seriously, she loves them.  It's pretty stinking cute.  She is constantly telling me, each time we clean and rotate them, "Mom, never take them out, 'kay?" Okay. Deal. And I did mention that we are waiting on some hair, but some is sprouting. So we're hopeful! See, she...